Lyla Patyrak

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monday, January 24, 2011

What's In a Name???

This past Saturday, I was pleased to get to participate in a focus group to help narrow down the list of finalists for McMurry University's new mascot.

For those who don't know...the short story is that the NCAA made McMurry retire it's Indians mascot a few years back. There were some appeals, but to no avail. So, the school is been without a mascot for I think close to 4 years. People that are long supporters of McMurry were so sad to see the Indians go that the idea was to not replace it. However, that isn't fair to the current and future students.

So, sitting in that meeting with other alumni from the school it was so nice to hear about everyone's deep love for McMurry. There are so many people who want to go to a big name college. That made no difference to me. Don't get me wrong, I do wish more people had heard of McMurry, but that small school in Abilene, Texas will always hold a very special place in my heart no matter what.

When we were talking, I actually thought about my elementary school. When I went to Wallace Elementary, we were the Wallace Wallabies and our colors were purple and white. Now, Wallabies don't seem all that fierce, but then again, we didn't have any sports teams so why should that matter? I don't know exactly when or why, but the colors changed to navy and gold and the mascot is now the Wolverines. I hadn't thought about it much over the years, but as I sat in that meeting on Saturday, I felt like a piece of my connection to Wallace was lost with the changing of the mascot. It doesn't change the fact that i went there, it just changes something that I am at a loss of how to explain. I don't know how they went about changing the mascot and colors of it was just something that happened quickly.

I do know that McMurry has done a fabulous job of including everyone who wants to be included on the choosing of a new mascot. There was a time in which people could suggest possible mascots. Following that was the first vote. Now there are 8 finalists and there are focus groups of alumni, staff and current students to help get that down to 3. No matter which name wins, the place that McMurry holds in all of our hearts is a special one and that will not fade.

I am so proud of McMurry and all that it stands for!

ALA CUMBA!

2 comments:

  1. please tell me you didn't pick the circuit riders....it just feels a little silly to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From our group, the top 3 choices were:
    Bison
    Circuit Riders
    Hawks (no one liked the word "war" in front of it)

    ReplyDelete