Lyla Patyrak

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Tube

For those of you who know me, you know that I watch a LOT of TV. Before DVR, it was hard to make plans on Tuesday night unless they revolved around Gilmore Girls at 7pm. There has always been one show on a given day of the week that I absolutely couldn't miss. Since college however, that list continues to grow. I always tell myself that I won't watch a new show until one of the current shows goes away, but of course the endless plugs for new drama draws me in.

My list of shows can mostly be wrapped up in a couple categories...Crime & Family Drama. There is of course Glee that doesn't feet into either one of those and a couple on again off again reality shows. One topic that I have no interest in is aliens. I don't get out. However, on a side note I have to admit being hooked on a cheesy show named Small Wonder back in the day which included an alien robot named Vicki.

When I lived by myself, it wasn't an issue. I balance what social life I desired with the schedule. Where is got hard to keep up is when my husband came into my life. He really wasn't interested in any show that I like. He suffered through the end of Gilmore Girls with me and some seasons of American Idol, but I think that is when he was trying to impress me. Now don't think he was the only one who took one for the team. I had NEVER watched an entire football game or basketball game on TV and that year I got sucked into March Madness & Basketball playoffs followed by college football and the 1,001 bowl games. I do have to admit though that now even I am a little sad when football season ends. No matter what, I am a Dallas girl and I will be cheering for the Rangers (first and foremost), the Cowboys and the Mavericks.

Okay, by now you've either tuned out or you're wondering where I'm going with all of this. I have been feeling guilt for the amount of TV I watch. One because I want to be a parent hopefully in the near future. I fully intend to be hands on and not be one of those parents that tells my kid to just "wait a few minutes until my program is over." Also, as I stated before, Danny doesn't really like but a few of the shows that I do. So, when he comes in and notices one of my shows, he heads straight back to the bedroom to flip channels or fall asleep. With him being still in school and working one-two nights a week, those nights are free. But, when he's home, call me crazy for actually wanting to spend time with him.

I suppose it was foreign to me at first. You see, my parents have quite similar interests in shows (which is pretty similar to mine) and so we watched TV as a family. We did other things as well. We certainly were not couch potatoes, but we just enjoyed the same programming. Maybe they started out differently. Maybe the just grew to like each others tastes. Who knows? BUT, what I do know is that I don't want to spend the nights that we are home together in separate rooms all the time.

I promise, I'm about to get to the point if you're still there. As I was watching one of my "can't miss" shows last night, I was thinking to myself (picture a word cloud above my head)..."If I had to give up all but one show during the week, what would it be?" Well, the current show on my list that I would pick hands down is Parenthood. I love family shows and I love shows that incorporate some great story lines. If you haven't watched it, tune in. If you have no idea what it is about, look it up on wikipedia and then tune in.

Of course, I don't think I can do something as drastic as giving all but one show, but I do think I could limit the amount of TV I watch when I get home from work. Usually I tell myself that if I get my workout in, all is fair game. But, on nights when Danny is not working late or playing basketball, I would like for us to be in the same room. It doesn't matter what we are doing, I just want it to be together.

I don't know exactly what that means yet. I'd like it to include some shows we can watch together because I don't think there is anything wrong with TV. I just think, like all things, there should be moderation.

To those of you still reading, thanks for hanging in there. So with that, I will leave you with a few pictures of the shows I hate to miss as of 1/12/11 in no particular order.












and the really guilty pleasure...

1 comment:

  1. Your post cracked me up (and made me miss Gilmore Girls REALLY bad!!!!)! My husband and I have DVR cleanout marathons sometimes. We're hooked on NCIS (both the original and LA), Hawaii Five-O, Mike and Molly, Modern Family, and Cougar Town. (I, of course, have American Idol, SYTYCD, DWTS, and the Bachelor on my list, but they're not on his...) It's PATHETIC! ;-)

    ReplyDelete