Lyla Patyrak

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monday, January 10, 2011

Memoirs

BOOKS, GLORIOUS BOOKS!

Okay, so let me preface this. Throughout all of my schooling, I could count the number of books I read on one hand. Don't get me wrong, I opened them and skimmed them, but reading from cover to cover was never on my to-do list. My mom was so confused. She had heard that if you read a lot to your child growing up that they will in turn enjoy reading. So not the case with me. It wasn't until after college that I truly understood why.

I didn't read the books because they were ASSIGNED. One of my favorite things to do is to go to a book store and pick out a book. Even in the age of the Kindle & Nook, I really love holding an actual book and turning real pages. So, from 2004 to now, I have read dozens of books. I have read love stories, best friend stories, scary stories, mysteries and more. I must give a shout out to Alice Sebold and Nicolas Sparks. They write totally different books, but both have a way of captivating me into their stories. However, until now, I had pretty much limited my selection to fiction. There is something about escaping from reality for a while (not that my reality is one that I feel the need to escape from).

The terms Biography & Autobiography always seemed so boring to me...more like a school assignment linked to the word "project" rather than something I would choose to spend time with. However, there is something sexy about the term "Memoirs." That just makes you want to dive in. So, that is my newest fascination. Let me share with you where I'm at.

For Christmas, I got...



Adam Richman is the host of the Travel Channel's Man vs. Food(a show that my husband will actually watch as well). In his book, he takes you on a tour of 9 cities. On this journey he doesn't only tell you about the amazing food he enjoys along the way, but also about the life experience and lessons he's picked up. I just finished that one the other day. If you pick this one up, just a note that he cleans up his language for his show, so he puts it all out there on the table in this quick read.

Also under the tree was...



George W. Bush, in my opinion, is as genuine as you can get. Not everyone agrees and really I don't care. During his presidency, he had to face some of the most challenging times. Any plans he had of things he wanted to accomplish during his time in office got derailed on September 11, 2001. I only just started this book, but after watching a few interviews following it's release, I am excited to read what he has to say about what he has experienced during his life and more specifically during his 2 terms in office.

The next books on my list...



I saw Portia di Rossi (Degeneres) on an interview with Oprah talking about her book. Hearing parts of her story made me just want to hear more. I have read plenty of magazine articles and seen a number of made-for-tv movies talking about eating disorders, but I am interested to see how she shares what she was going through and continues to struggle with. As someone who has pretty much tried every diet, I have never EVER been desperate enough for an eating disorder. I love food too much!!! In all seriousness, I have never been bullied or ridiculed by family or friends regardless of what size I am at any given time and for that I am eternally thankful.

And after that, I will dive into the controversial...



James Frey perhaps altered the story a bit to make it more "Hollywood," but anyone who has struggled with addiction has a story to tell. Even if some of his stories have been embellished to titillate the reader, it is still about tackling the demons of addiction.

So, I'll keep you posted on the list of memoirs and how it goes. But give me some time. George W. Bush had a lot to say in his almost 500 pages. Maybe up and coming will be "Memoirs of a Blogger."

No comments:

Post a Comment