Lyla Patyrak

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Friends are Friends forever...or are they?

So, last night I got up around 4:30 to let Bevo go outside. Some nights he makes it all the way through the night, sometimes he doesn't. (REMINDER: Bevo is the dog) Usually I go right back to sleep. That is, if Bevo didn't jump into my spot before I can get back in bed (which then requires some middle of the night wrestling moves). Last night for some reason I just started thinking and therefore I had a little more trouble getting back to sleep. What was I thinking about? Well, I'm about to tell you.

For some reason, I started thinking about friends. Not just friends in general, but in particular about the different friends that have traveled in and out of my life throughout my almost 29 years. The friends that first came to mind are three fabulous sisters & their family. The lived next door to me on Giddings Circle. You see, my sister is 7 1/2 years older than me, so when I was little, she wasn't super interested in being my playmate. So, when these three girls lived next door, we had the times of our lives. One was a year older, one was a year younger and one was a few years behind that. We went to school together and came home together. I'm sure we rand "houses" and "schools" and maybe even our very own "beauty shops." We LOVED riding our bikes and trekking to the creek. Around 2nd grade, they moved away. Their dad took a great job in DC and off they went. We kept in touch through letters actually pretty regularly. Over the next few years, they visited in Dallas & I even had two long visits in DC seeing all the sites. I don't know exactly when it happened, but at some point, we just lost touch. Nothing happened, aside from perhaps just getting busier as we started getting older. I think after about 4 years they moved back to Dallas (though we didn't go to the same school nor live in the same neighborhood. So, we never really reconnected. Now, we are friends on facebook and though they will always hold a special place in my heart, that friendship that was so great so long ago, just isn't there anymore.

So, from thinking about them, I started thinking about all of the friends that I've had over the years. Most of which I either have no idea where they are, or I just keep up with by checking their facebook statuses. I thought as far back as preschool at Green Acres, Wallace Elementary & The Purple Panthers, Lake Highlands JH & Limited Edition, Lake Highlands HS with A Capella & Espree and Lake Highlands UMC and ALL the memories that place holds. Of course, I think about McMurry University. I learned who I was there. Not that I was ever really uncomfortable in my skin, but those who have been to college know that feeling of first leaving home is different than any other feeling. I love to remember those times, but then sometimes it makes me sad to think about the people that I no longer am in touch with. I could go through and list all of the names, but that would just go on and on. From sports teams, to singing groups to social clubs to even made up clubs (shout out to the Jack***, Bro****, IC and it's breakoffs and so many more).

Also, when does a friend go from a "best friend" to a "dear friend." I don't know whether there are specific definitions for either of those, but here is my definition. I best friend is the person you want to call the minute something good or bad happens or just call for no reason at all. I dear friend is someone you have known for a long time and perhaps used to be "best friends" with, but you have both changed and gone different directions. You don't see each other or talk very often, but when you do it seems like no time has passed. You can certainly have more than one of either, but sometimes the transitions between the two take time to weather. To all my "dear friends" and to my "best friend" and to all my friends past and present, I love you all!

I would love to include pictures to stroll down memory lane, but that will have to be another post. The only pictures I have on my computer are a few college and then adult life.

Of course, I wouldn't be who I am today without my husband who will forever by my very best friend! I LOVE YOU MIBB&BNFFDATUKB!

No comments:

Post a Comment