Lyla Patyrak

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monday, January 10, 2011

The Blame Game

Okay, I've been thinking about this for the last day or so regarding the tragedy that happened over the weekend in Arizona. First of all, it hits close to home because I have grown up in a political family. My dad was an elected official and both of my parents currently work for elected officials. Shortly after hearing what happened and watching some news updates, I turned to the place where so many find out and share current events...everyone always has something to say.

I quickly noticed many just sharing that their thoughts and prayers were with those affected. BUT...I have also noticed another disturbing trend.

I have noticed (and maybe you have too) that following any tragedy, people always look for someone to blame. On Saturday, after the news broke, I noticed people blaming Glen Beck and people blaming Sarah Palin or just people blaming Republicans in general. I think that shows not only a lack of tact, but also a lack of intelligence. The man that shot a Congresswoman at point blank range in the head and then continued shooting into the crowd killing a number of others (including a child) and wounding even more...HE is the one to blame. He bought the gun (legally). I took it with him that day to the grocery store where she was speaking. He pulled the trigger and he kept pulling the trigger over and over again until the crowd got to him and held him down while they waited for authorities. I think people on both sides of the aisle would agree that this indeed was a terrible tragedy, but to blame anyone but the person who was actually involved is just plain ridiculous.

So, my prayers go out to Congresswoman Giffords, her family, and all of the other affected by this shooting.

It is sad when a senseless tragedy becomes a platform for so many to just project more negativity and hate. Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment